NOW WE'RE 46! New babies not pictured; Dash, Rocky, Gemma, Rose, and Telly

ROCK AND TERRI FAMILY BLOG

Saturday, March 7, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DAD

(Okay, I stole these pics from my sister's blog....)My dad turned 82 on March 4th. He is here pictured with my stepmother Valoy who is recovering from a very serious illness. She returned home from the hospital on his Birthday! They have been married for 50 years. My mother passed away just a few years after their marriage, and Valoy raised me, my brother Randy and sister Ruth. Eventually Lori, Scot, Becky, Mark and Melissa were born.

He attended college at the University of Utah where he studied business and was both the quarterback and kicker for the football team.
How many of you can kick your leg that high? :-)
Although a U of U football fan, he later had to divide his loyalties with BYU where he was a finance professor, undergraduate chairman in the Business Department and later Associate Dean of the Marriott School of Management.

Dad served in the Navy after WWII. Here is a picture of him showing off like guys always do in the Navy I guess.

Dad served a mission to Argentina, and then many years later was called to be the mission president over the Central American Mission. This included Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. I was a senior in high school while we lived in Costa Rica.



In 2001, my parents were called as temple president and matron of the Guatemala Temple where they served for 3 years. I love this picture because it makes my dad look like an angel among the people he loves. All his letters to home during this time in his life began with the words: "It is another beautiful day"....and it took me while to realize he wasn't referring to the weather.

Dad's Favorites:
Anything blue
Fruit juices
Soup
text books, the scriptures, Louis L'amour books

books, books, books

conservative politics
Golf
BYU sports
Being a sealer in the Timpanogos Temple
His Family--of Course!
Most Likely To:
Be the first one at a meeting
Help anyone in need
Show up to every service project
Remembers EVERYONE'S birthday (no easy task considering the numbers)
Least Likely To:
Be late anywhere
Be dishonest
Be idle

3 comments:

Fisher Family said...

Congratulations to your Dad! 82 wow! It was a wonderful dedication!

Brooke G said...

That is really neat! I love the photos you chose. Has Ben and Lisa announced anything???

Joy For Your Journey said...

I am so flattered. I am pretty sure that is the first time something I have written has been stolen by another blog. :-)