NOW WE'RE 46! New babies not pictured; Dash, Rocky, Gemma, Rose, and Telly

ROCK AND TERRI FAMILY BLOG

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

TUTORIAL FOR QUILTED BAG


I love this bag, but I wish I had coughed up the big bucks and bought a Vera Bradley.  It would have saved me a few broken needles

I used this pattern, but added a few more complicated details

FRONT.
I backed it with a coordinating fabric and put the self-adhesive batting in the center

BACK

The next step was FREE MOTION QUILTING each side with my BSR. 
You could just use a WALKING FOOT and quilt a GRID.

I added the BANDS after quilting, but they could have been done before

Iron in 1/2 inch and TOPSTITCH on the bag in position

For placement on the bag, remember that you need to leave a SEAM ALLOWANCE

This is where I started TRYING to be CREATIVE
 I needed a POCKET on the outside of the bag for my passport and wallet, so I decided to add one
I measured the pocket about 9 INCHES so it would fit between the two straps on each side.
It needed to fit inside the two borders top and bottom.
 I folded it over the batting so the fabric would be the SAME inside and outside.  I Sprayed Adhesive on the other side to bind it down
 

FREE MOTION QUILTING the pocket.

I used EMBROIDERY thread to quilt because it is silky looking
  As you can see, I did not finish the sides of the pocket because it would add just another layer of fabric to sew through when I attached the handles. 
The sides of the pocket will be tucked under the handles when I sew them on. 

Sew the ZIPPER to the TOP of the pocket.  Mark where you need to CUT the zipper

SEW  a STITCH around the TEETHto create a natural place for the zipper to stop

Make sure you are using UTILITY SCISSORS, don't ruin your GOOD ones.

 OUCH, Don't worry, it didn't feel a thing


I made a little strip to put at the top of the zipper, just for fun

I also added a LITTLE PIECE of material at the top and bottom of the zipper to secure it and tuck it in a little

This is how it looks in the FRONT

This is how it looks in the BACK

Ok, this looks weird, but sew it UPSIDE DOWN at the bottom edge. 
RIGHT SIDES together place the Bottom of the pocket just above the top of the polka-dot BORDER. 
FLIP it up into place. 
This procedure makes it a little more ROOMY in the pocket

sew in place
Now flip it up and sew the TOP to the bag
Sew the sides, remember they are still RAW EDGES that will be captured in the STRAPS

LOOK WHAT A FUN POCKET! 
Now add the ZIPPER to connect both top, front and back of the bag.
The zipper is done the same way as I did on the pocket.
 Not shown, but TOPSTITCH  along the FRONT seam close to the zipper.
 I also iron on ZIPPER TAPE on the INSIDE seam as shown here. 
This is how it looks on the inside

Now attach your STRAPS to the outside of the bag.   Follow the pattern, for making straps, BUT;
I make my straps a little different than the pattern. 
I cut them according to the length of the pattern, but 4 1/2 INCHES wide
Then I cut the batting 4 INCHES and iron it on the straps.
 Fold the straps in THIRDS, tucking under one side. 
Using a needle for "JEANS" sew FOUR (4) lengths of the strap - as shown in pictures



This is how the bag looks when the straps are attached.  This is where you may break a few needles, so sew very SLOW.  Use a Jeans needle and a WALKING FOOT.
Sew around the sides and bottom.
MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE ZIPPER OPEN AT THIS POINT SO YOU CAN TURN IT INSIDE OUT. 
Now that leaves two squares on each bottom corner of the bag. PINCH them together and sew.

Turn inside out, and DONE!
Or, just go buy one.

2 comments:

Fisher Family said...

That is the CUTEST bag! You are so talented.

Lisa said...

I think this is cuter than a vera bradley bag! I love the bright colors.