NOW WE'RE 46! New babies not pictured; Dash, Rocky, Gemma, Rose, and Telly

ROCK AND TERRI FAMILY BLOG

Thursday, April 2, 2009

HAS TECHNOLOGY TAKEN OVER?

My grandparents were born in an age where you rode a horse to get anywhere, but things were moving fast - and jets zoomed over their heads by the time they died
My parents got to watch (black and white) TV for the first time only after they were adults with children of their own...
My 82 year old father has mastered the mouse on the computer, but Rock's mother could never figure out the mouse before she died a few years ago.
I remember once my children complained that I made real mashed potatoes out of real potatoes for dinner instead of the powdered kind they got at school lunch. I sort of wondered what had happened, when did fast food start tasting better then slow food?
The world for my grandchildren is obsessed with technology. You can play a game on an I-phone where you just sit and pop bubble-wrap. Wow, I would have loved that on those long trips across the Nevada Desert in a car with no air-conditioning when I was 7 years old. We had to create words out of the letters on passing liscense plates to keep ourselves from become insanely bored. Speed limit was slower, roads were bad, and cars broke down easier then. Going to Disneyland was a very huge deal.
Will our great-grandchildren even know the joy of REALLY poping bubble-wrap? Wow, you can make everything virtual now days.
My grandparents and parents were people of great integrity, knowledge, wisdom and accomplishment. They learned to work hard, & they loved to learn. They made a difference in the world. Older people today think the world has become too fast, too wicked, too complicated. But they see hope in the children anyway.
Watch this link and think to yourselves;
"Where is the knowledge that is lost in information? Where is the wisdom that is lost in knowledge?" (T.S. Elliot)
and then ask yourself - what does this mean? My dad just sent me his answer...interesting

1 comment:

Fisher Family said...

The technology we have today is amazing! The video was interesting to watch.