NOW WE'RE 46! New babies not pictured; Dash, Rocky, Gemma, Rose, and Telly

ROCK AND TERRI FAMILY BLOG

Friday, January 9, 2009

BOOK REVIEWs

For Christmas Rock bought me a reading lamp. It is great! (I suspect he didn't like all the overhead lights on at night while he was trying to sleep or the lights on at 2 a.m. when I can't sleep and decide to read a book or crochet instead....) Anyway, here are the books I have read since Christmas;

Sweet, sad, absorbing, and a bit depressing, but don't let that keep you away, it is a simple read that really depicts the character and emotion of a small family in Germany during WWII - well, yes, it's been done before but these characters will steal your heart. Literary devices are a little reminiscent "Meet Joe Black-ish" as the Narrator/Grim Reaper absorbs himself in the personal life of the main character...I recommend it highly.




Okay I am bummed that one of my favorite authors wrote such a dumb book. Really dumb. But Erin brought it home from the library and I was scouring the bookshelves for something anyway.....Okay, well if you like Pride and Prejuduice read it anyway. It is beyond silly, but sometimes silly is a good way to spend a mindless evening, especially if your other choice is watching re-runs of "Star Trek" with your husband. I recommend reading her other books - she is a great writer normally.

2 comments:

Erin Spenc said...

I agree. Austenland was not as good as all her other books.

Fisher Family said...

Jenn gave me The Book Thief for Christmas but I haven't had time to read it yet. I have read Austinland and it was a disapointment but it was still ok. I've read worse.turagly