NOW WE'RE 46! New babies not pictured; Dash, Rocky, Gemma, Rose, and Telly

ROCK AND TERRI FAMILY BLOG

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

BOOKS I HAVE READ THIS SUMMER

I managed to squeeze in a little reading this summer. Here are the books I have read. Most of them were recommended to me by someone else, and some I liked and some I didn't like. I had no idea that in the 1940's some of the people in Korea were forced to take Japanese names. Based on real events in the history of Korea that I never learned in History class. Most of my education didn't explain much war history beyond the dropping of the bomb in Japan, and this is written from the perspective of a 13-year-old Korean girl and her brother who was trained as a Kamikaze pilot.
I loved wrapping up the 3rd book in this series, the continuing story of Sarah Pine in the early territorial days of Arizona. Tough lady who had a lot of crazy wild west experiences. This one ends really well in spite of how the author likes to kill so many people.

I really enjoyed this book. I can't look at bees the same way again.



I really liked this book. It was much better than the movie, and really a very surprising ending.



I loved this book even though it was written like a documentary. I have spent a lot of time wondering if there is a lesson in this, like, how can we be more prepared? It is a bit hard to follow because there are no major characters, it is just a sequence of events. But really, can you ever feel safe after reading this?



I thought this was a really delightful book with so much character and fun! I would recommend it to anyone.




I wasn't too crazy about this book, but it was a really sweet story and so positive set in a time where there were so many horrible things that could have happened


Oh my gosh, I loved the first book; "Rebbecca", but this one was terrible. It was no more than a stupid romance novel obsessed with a self-absorbed narcissistic main character, and it never addressed the negative consequences she caused all the other characters. No poetic justice here, so don't waste your time.


I usually love Maeve Binchy books, but this one was a lot of words that didn't wrap up in a meaningful way like some of her novels. It was interesting but it ended in a way that demolished the purpose for even writing it. I couldn't quite catch the point, it was just sort of a log of events that didn't evolve into any kind of interesting delima.

This was interesting because it gives you a glimpse into the secret world of Muslem women.

This is really outstanding. What a great book, it is like I need to rip out every page and glue it to my mirror or fridge.

I thought this was going to be stupid based on the story we are all familiar with, but I found it be be quite cute.

6 comments:

the Eggett's said...

Wow, you have read as many books in 6 weeks as I have read in 25 years.

:)

Kim said...

I love your book posts! You've given some great recommends (and also steered me away from others). Thanks much. I've been looking for some good reads this summer.

~Kim (formerly Halverson) Miller

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh my word!! I can't believe how many books you have read. I think I am half way through with my fifth book and I thought I was doing good. During the school year I only read the scriptures so I try to get all my reading done during the summer. Of course after your list I may have to keep reading!

Fisher Family said...

Thanks for the reviews on the books. The only one I have read is My Sisters Keeper. I agree the book was better than the movie. I'll have to try one of the others you liked.

MissKris said...

You've been busy! I'm impressed...

Brooke G said...

you need to read The Hunger Games!!!