NOW WE'RE 46! New babies not pictured; Dash, Rocky, Gemma, Rose, and Telly

ROCK AND TERRI FAMILY BLOG

Thursday, June 23, 2011

SCENES FROM UGANDA

I have no idea what these fish are, probably minnows.  They are harvested from Lake Victoria and dried.  Umm...yummy.
I forgot my camera the day we went to the market so I can post that next time.
Everytime we get out of our car the children run up to us.  Everyone calls us Mazoomba which means "not African".  Sometimes our skin color scares them but mostly they are just curious
Keyboard lessons.  I have been going with Sister Shipley shown here to help her teach her keyboard students.  These two young men are prospective Elders who hope to go on a mission.  They want to learn the Hymns before going.  I have been studying the course, but I don't know how I would ever replace her.  We have District Conference on Sunday which she is getting all the Elders ready to sing in the Choir.  This picture shows her teaching these brothers how to sing the Bass.
There are no traffic signs here, but a puzzling number of other signs which seem to defy explanation

More signs....

Rock at the entrance of a really nice restaurant where we had a fabulous meal for about $6.00.  There are some beautiful tourist places scattered around
These termite hills are everywhere.
The termites are harvested and roasted.
Baptismal font at the side of the Mpumadde Branch. I know it looks somewhat like a dumpster...well it is a dumpster. There was a baptism we attended on Sunday.  They have to check the font for snakes and critters before you can send your investigators in it.

Mpummedde Branch  - a nice building used for Sunday services.  No air conditioning or kitchen, but quite comfortable.

On the Nile - the Falls.  They call it the source of the Nile


in the white water people will ride with their kayaks or just jump in and ride the waves



It's hard to see but there are people riding in the waves



And by the way, you can't watch them for free, this is their livelihood, so someone is on shore to charge you for the show

Justine is an investigator.  We went with Elder and Sister Shipley to teach him a lesson about the Sabbath in his one room home made of brick with concrete floors.  It was clean and he had set up four chairs for us two couples and he sat on the floor on a mat.  He has a wife and 10 children in another city, as he is here to work.  He was not able to get baptized yet because he hasn't finished paying the dowry to her parents, or to the clan or tribe as we would call it.  He has a testimony, but these are the obstacles the missionaries have to deal with.  Even if he was to get married legally after all these years of them raising their family, the tribe would ostracize his family for the delinquent dowry. But he can't afford the dowry.  So.....baptism is a tough sell here. 

4 comments:

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh my!! Those pictures are amazing. And I could just feel the humidity while looking at them. I am so glad you posted pictures. When I read about your experiences I get so antsy to be there with my camera.

Fisher Family said...

Wow! Just amazing!

Erin Spenc said...

Wow. I think I'm starting to better understand why people don't get married. Wow. Thanks for the pictures.

Lisa said...

I can't get over that baptismal font. You and Rock look healthy and happy!