NOW WE'RE 46! New babies not pictured; Dash, Rocky, Gemma, Rose, and Telly

ROCK AND TERRI FAMILY BLOG

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

THE 31ST ST. GEORGE MARATHON

Written by Rock-

Our family had a great vacation together for the St. George Marathon. We were all together in a very large house; it was noisy with the children but a lot of fun! We played a lot of games together, hiked together, all the children went swimming & hot tubing and had all you can eat Pizza together. We watched all the conference together and McKay even went to his first Priesthood Session with us. On Saturday night we had a surprise birthday party for McKay. I hauled off 12 bags of garbage on the day we left, after we stuffed all we could into the garbage can.

Marathon day was great for the family too. Immediately after the race Terri always gathers the family together at a certain place at the Worthen Park where the marathon ends. Randy and his family (and some of my extended family … Paul’s family and sometimes Noel’s) usually come over and spend a little time with us there with the wall-to-wall people and the circus like atmosphere.

As far as race results go, in our family Jen, Brooke and Jen’s father took the buses out to the start and began walking early. Jen walked the entire 26.2 miles (Joel joined her half way and finished with her) and we were VERY proud of her. Brooke had registered but because of her balance and fainting problem she decided to start early with Jen and walk part way and run part; after walking 10 miles she ran 8 and then walked while she waited for me…I caught her at 25 and she had to almost carry me across the finish line. Chad finished in 4:33, I finished in 4:27, Joe finished in 3:43, Jake Eggett finished in 3:23. Amber had registered but she was recently diagnosed with her heart irregularity she decided to take her Dr’s counsel and didn’t run. I didn’t get the final time for Angela, but I know she had a hard time….I think she was at about 4:40. I believe Randy said she laid on the side of the road at about mile 18 to ease the pain. We were sorry that RJ was pulled off the course for dozing at 17 miles. I talked to him afterwards and he was really quite disappointed. To quote Randy, RJ said he didn’t pass out on the course, he just fell asleep. On my first marathon I laid down for 2 minutes at mile 20 because everything hurt so much; if I’d known at the time that I could get kicked off for sleeping I would have pretended to be asleep.

By Rock

Please check out my Brookes and Jenns blog for more information and tons of cool pictures since I forgot to take pictures....(link located on this page, just ask to be invited...)



2 comments:

Joy For Your Journey said...

You guys are so awesome!! I love hearing your stories, because then I can repeat them to my friends while I am bragging about you.:-)

Fisher Family said...

I think all your runners are just awesome! It was fun for our family to be down there and be a part of it whether we were spectators or participating in the marathon.